Development Victoria’s approach to privacy
Development Victoria is committed to the responsible handling of personal information in a manner consistent with the Information Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
This statement sets out how Development Victoria handles your personal and health information and applies to all our contact with you whether in person, over the telephone or online.
What is personal information?
Personal information is recorded information about an identifiable or easily identifiable individual. The types of information we collect may include name, address, email address, telephone numbers, date of birth, gender, photographs and financial details.
Why does Development Victoria collect personal information?
Development Victoria is the Victorian government's property development agency.
Development Victoria collects personal information to deliver its functions under the Development Victoria Act 2003 (Vic) and the Docklands Act 1991 (Vic). The functions of Development Victoria include carrying out land development, carrying out or managing urban renewal projects, contributing to government urban planning and development policies and completing the development of the Docklands area.
When delivering its functions Development Victoria may collect personal information to:
- conduct market research and marketing activities (including promotions, competitions and the compilation of statistics);
- carry out community engagement activities;
- respond to public enquiries, requests for information and registrations of interests;
- develop or sell land or property to private buyers;
- manage its workforce and contractors (including prospective employees); and
- respond to complaints or concerns.
How we collect your personal information
Depending on the nature of your contact with Development Victoria, we may collect your personal information:
- from application and registration forms, contests, complaints or surveys;
- through employment related processes;
- over the telephone or in person;
- from our websites (see www.development.vic.gov.au); or
- through our contracted service providers including from our sales agents and call centre operators.
Whenever we collect personal information we will take steps to advise you of why we are collecting the information, what we intend to do with it and to whom we need to disclose it.
Generally, Development Victoria will need to collect your personal information to be able to perform its functions.
When do we disclose personal information?
To be able to perform our functions, we may need to disclose your personal information within Development Victoria, within government and to third parties, including:
- our third party service providers, including our sales agents, professional services or information technology providers;
- any development partners involved in a property in which you are interested; and
- our third party providers contracted to deliver services to a property that you have purchased.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Development Victoria stores personal information in electronic and hard-copy
We have implemented technology and security policies, rules and measures to protect the personal information that we have under our control. However, you should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the Internet. While we aim to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us online and individuals do so at their own risk. Once any personal information comes into our possession, we will take reasonable steps to protect that information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Access to your information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you. We will try to give you access with as little formality as possible and without charging a fee. However, where your request is difficult or time consuming, or where it involves personal information about other people, we may require you to use Freedom of Information Act procedures to make the
If you become aware that the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, you can ask us to correct it.
Development Victoria's contact details can be found at www.development.vic.gov.au
If you are unhappy about the way we handle your personal information you may lodge a complaint in person, by telephone or in writing. We may require you to put an oral complaint in writing.
You may lodge a privacy complaint at any time at the details below:
Level 9, 8 Exhibition Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Phone: 03 8317 3400
If you are not satisfied with how Development Victoria handles your complaint you may contact the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner at www.cpdp.vic.gov.au or on 1300 666 444.